The Standard Model and Beyond
This course presents aspects of the current research front in particle physics.
- Details of the Standard Model
CP symmetry and the implications of its violation; renormalization flow and the evolution of coupling strengths; asymptotic freedom of the strong interactions; Quantum Chromodynamics
- Grand Unification and its Difficulties
The Georgi-Glashow Model, SU(5) and SO(10); proton decay
- Topological and non-perturbative extensions
Axions and monopoles.
- Supersymmetry in Particle Physics
Supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model; links to supergravity and extra dimensions.
- Steven Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields I& II, (Cambridge University Press, 1995)
- Ta-Pei Cheng and Ling-Fong Li, Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics, (Oxford University Press, 1984)
- Matthew Schwarz, Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model, (Cambridge University Press, 2014)
- Cliff Burgess and Guy Moore, The Standard Model - A Primer, (Cambridge University Press, 2007)
- Michael Dine, Supersymmetry and String Theory - Beyond the Standard Model, (Cambridge University Press, 2016)