Department of Chemistry
Total expected intake
160 (2018 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
6 : 1 (for 2015 entry)
Research Excellence Framework 2014
96% of research classed as world leading or internationally excellent
About the Department
Imperial’s Department of Chemistry places a strong emphasis on a practical chemical education that is relevant to industry.
The Department has its historical roots as the original Royal College of Chemistry, founded in the 1840s with the support of Parliament to help ensure that chemistry in the UK was both practical and profitable. We are still situated in one of the earliest RCC buildings on our South Kensington Campus. It has been upgraded over the years with world class teaching and research facilities, including well equipped laboratories and workshops for the construction of mechanical and electronic instruments.
All of our degrees include extensive experience of practical chemistry, across the themes of making, measuring and modelling molecules. This enables you to develop transferable skills as well as an understanding of twenty-first century chemistry and the scientific method. This is supported by a commitment to research-led teaching, delivering a curriculum that is informed both by world leading chemistry research and innovations in education.
The Department is currently based at our South Kensington Campus, and from 2018 will also occupy the Molecular Sciences Research Hub on Imperial's brand new White City Campus. This will provide us with state-of-the-art research facilities and exciting opportunities for collaboration with industry.
Three-year course (180 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry (UCAS code F100)
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry with Management (F1NF)
- MSci Chemistry (F103)
- MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (F124)
- MSci Chemistry with Research Abroad (F104)
- MSci Chemistry with Molecular Physics (F1F3)
Four-year language courses (240 ECTS):
- MSci Chemistry with French for Science (F1R1)
- MSci Chemistry with German for Science (F1R2)
- MSci Chemistry with Spanish for Science (F1R4)
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- BSc Chemistry with Management and a Year in Industry (FN11)
- MSci Chemistry with a Year in Industry (F105)
- MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and a Year in Industry (F125)
- MSci Chemistry with Research Abroad and a Year in Industry (F101)
- MSci Chemistry with Molecular Physics and a Year in Industry (F1FH)
Due to the structure of the programme, it is possible to transfer between the different degree codings once at College, subject to the relevant approval. Additional entry requirements may also apply, such as proficiency in a relevant modern language for study abroad. Thus students should only apply to one degree course within the Department; there is no advantage in applying to more than one.
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your Tier 4 visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.