One of the most common types of PhD study at Imperial is via studentships. These are externally funded projects in defined areas of research, which comes with a named supervisor (who has secured funding) in a particular department, centre or institute.
While studentships usually have a fixed deadline, many of our departments also welcome applications all year round from suitably qualified Doctoral candidates.
Use our department links below to find out which research groups are working in your area of interest. Remember, many of Imperial’s centres and institutes span multiple subject areas.
Also, see our PhD Training Centres section for information on opportunities through our Centres for Doctoral Training and Doctoral Training Partnerships.
Find out more about Doctoral study at Imperial.
Faculty of Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Design Engineering
- Earth Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Medicine
- Institute of Clinical Sciences
- Department of Medicine
- Faculty of Medicine: Cross-Faculty Research
- National Heart and Lung Institute
- School of Public Health
- Department of Surgery and Cancer
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Imperial College Business School
Centres and institutes
- Energy Futures Lab
- Grantham Institute – Climate Change and the Environment
- Institute for Security Science and Technology
- Institute of Biomedical Engineering
- Institute of Chemical Biology
- Institute of Systems and Synthetic Biology
- Centre for Systems Engineering and Innovation
- Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication