It’s important to be aware of the dangers associated with smoking, drinking and taking drugs so that you can make informed choices about the way you live and care for yourself.

I feel I am drinking too much

Drinkline is an NHS service and offers support and advice in addition to self-help material to those who are worried about their drinking.

Call 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am – 8pm, weekends 11am – 4pm).

It is good to talk with your doctor so they can give you advice and information about local support groups.

I don’t drink but feel pressured to do so

The Advice Centre is a free, impartial and confidential service provided by Imperial College Union. At the Advice Centre you can talk about your attitudes to alcohol and find out that though it may seem that everybody drinks, this is not necessarily the case. Drop in, call 020 7594 8067, or send an email.

I feel I have a problem with drugs

Talk To Frank is a resource that provides objective information on drugs and their effects, and advice on how to stop or where to find help. It also provides support for those worried about someone else’s drug use.

You can also talk to your doctor.

Legal highs

The number of so-called ‘legal highs’ has exploded in recent years. These are now covered by the misuse of drugs laws. Be aware that none of these drugs have been properly tested to see how toxic they are to humans, so the short-term and long-term effects on health are unknown.

If you think you are having a serious negative reaction after taking drugs or a 'legal high' that does not fade after some time and fluids, go to A&E at your nearest hospital. If you experience less serious problems, which persist after a few days, talk to your doctor.

Further information

College Policy

The Student Alcohol and Substance Misuse Policy sets out the approach the College will normally take when the consumption of drugs and/or alcohol affects the performance of its students.