Developing Excellence Scheme (DES)
Awards of up to £1000 in any sport to those with aspirations to compete nationally or internationally.
Awards up to £1000
Available to students studying during 2016/17 academic year
- Application deadline 26 August
- Interviews 12–16 September (am/pm)
The Developing Excellence Scheme (DES) provides support to student athletes to help aid sporting development whilst studying at Imperial. DES awards have been allocated in a wide range of sports, including track cycling, squash, sailing, lacrosse and athletics.
Last year (2013/14) we had 18 students receive a DES scholarship.
About the scholarship
You must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a scholarship
- performing to a high standard in your chosen sport
- have aspirations to compete nationally and internationally representing Imperial in BUCS or other approved competitions
- scholarships are available to current and prospective students*
- scholarships are available whether you are studying as an undergraduate or a postgraduate
- you must make satisfactory progress academically
- you must reapply annually to have your scholarship renewed
* prospective students should check which year of entry the current round of scholarships are being awarded. You cannot apply for a scholarship a year in advance.
You can be awarded up to the maximum of £1000 from the DES scheme.
As well as the funding, we are also able to offer the following benefits to our scholars:
- strength and conditioning session
- physiotherapy and sports massage sessions
- Sport Imperial branded kit
- access to lifestyle support
- access to skills workshop
- access to a sports psychologist
- access to a nutrition advisor
- opportunity to win 'Scholar of the Month'
Any financial support received can only be used for the following areas:
- competition and training expenses (travel, event accommodation etc.)
- kit and equipment
Our expectations - terms and conditions
In return for this support, you will be required to:
- represent Imperial in all British University and Colleges Sports (BUCS) competitions
- be available for selection for all other representative student sport events
- keep Sport Imperial fully informed of progress and results
- acknowledge support of Sport Imperial in all communications with the media
- provide end of season review for website and other promotional materials
How to apply
"Please note: This round of scholarships are only for students undertaking courses at Imperial in the 2016/17 academic year. If you are starting Imperial in September 2017, please apply next year."
- Complete the application form online
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an informal interview and informed of decisions in writing
Application deadline: Friday 26 August
Interview dates : 12–16 September (am/pm)