Online research funding and news service
What is Research Professional?
Imperial has a subscription to Research Professional, an online research funding and news service.
We are all increasingly aware of the importance of knowing about new funding opportunities and this service provides:
- a searchable database of national and international opportunities
- news from the research world and funding bodies
- access to discussion forums
All of these items can be viewed on your personal Research Professional account or sent directly to your email via personalised e-mail alerts.
Who should sign up?
All staff involved in research and research administration are encouraged to sign up.
How do I sign up?
To set up an account you need to register on Research Professional by clicking the middle Register option, this needs to be done at an Imperial campus (i.e. via IP address) but once set up, the accounts can be used remotely.
You can also view all of the content without registering or logging in by using the Campus Access option, however this will not allow you to save or access any saved searches.
How do I use the system?
Using the system is quite straightforward, there is a very useful quickstart guide and help function. If you have additional queries please contact either your Departmental administrator or the Strategy Research Manager Sophie Armstrong-Brown.
- The first time you sign in you will be presented with the ‘induction' screens. A simple step-by-step process will help you set up your account.
- Once you have registered the first page you'll see following this is the Imperial College London ‘start page'. This has a short introduction and also has a set of ‘Quick Links', to take you to the various sections of the site.
The most useful function is likely to be the Funding Search function where you can search the online funding repository for opportunities.
- To set up a search use the dropdown boxes to select the criteria you wish to search by (such as the name of the discipline, funder or the award type). You can use the plus button to add extra criteria, and the minus button to remove them. When you have built a search you are happy with, click the ‘Search' button and the results will be displayed.
Internal notes and deadlines
Funding opportunities with any internal deadlines or useful application notes are indicated by a ‘flag' in the right hand side of the opportunity detailing the annotation (deadline, note, contact or priority).
You can receive weekly email alerts on any of your saved searches (funding or news) by adding any searches that you would like to be alerted to in your alerts profile. To access this simply click on the ‘Alerts' button on the top right of the screen.
If you have any comments or questions on the system please contact Sophie Armstrong-Brown.
Departmental administrators/operational managers can be set up with administrator/editing rights, giving you access to set up accounts, add annotations to opportunities and set up groups/searches as necessary, please contact Sophie Armstrong-Brown if you wish me to change your subscription level to allow you to do this. A useful Administrator Quick Start Guide is available from the Research Professional Getting Started page.