We offer internal and external postal services for staff and students. We also have hosted Amazon Lockers for your convenience.
Abdillahi Hussein, Chief Postal Officer
122 Huxley Building
Tel: 020 7594 8908
Fax: 020 7594 2155
The post and distribution team provide the following services:
- Red letter vector image Delivery and collection of internal and external post across campuses
- Processing of outbound post including special delivery and Royal Mail signed for, international signed and Airsure.
- Delivery of internal communications
- Processing of bulk mail
We operate across the following sites
- South Kensington
- Silwood Park
- St Mary's
- Hammersmith Hospital
- Charing Cross Hospital
- Royal Brompton National Heart and Lung Institute
How to use internal mail
To ensure prompt delivery:
- Please address all internal mail clearly and correctly, include:
- Name Department
- Put your Department/Division and campus on all internal mail.
- If you are reusing an internal envelope, ensure you have deleted all previous addresses.
- Keep internal and external mail separate.
- Please note that we are unable to deliver mail to Northwick Park through the internal system.
How to use external mail
- Please state your Divisional/Departmental franking code on all external items to be franked.
- State which service is required, i.e. first or second class.
- When ordering parcels make sure that you include your name and contact number in the delivery details.
- Make sure you have a valid ID card and telephone number, as these are the only methods we use to check miscellaneous mail or parcels.
- Imperial College London envelopes should not be used for personal use. If there is any reason for it to be returned by Royal Mail it comes back to College, and if there is no indication of who sent it, we will have to dispose of it.
Amazon Locker – online delivery and pick up service at South Kensington campus
To reduce Amazon.co.uk deliveries to our Receptions and to the Post Room at South Kensington, we have hosted Amazon Lockers. We now have two on the level 2 walkway, near Sheffield’s main entrance. Amazon take care of the servicing, customer service and day to day running of the Lockers.
What is 'Amazon Locker'?
Amazon Lockers are self-service kiosks where Amazon.co.uk customers can receive and return their Amazon parcels. Customers can select a locker location and collect their parcel at a time that's convenient for them.
How does Amazon Locker work?
Customers add Amazon Locker to their address book by using a quick link specific to each individual Locker, adding the Locker when prompted during the checkout process, or adding it via www.amazon.co.uk/findalocker. Customers should enter the post code nearest to their desired delivery location. Entering SW7 2AZ will reveal ‘Ecstatic’, which is the Amazon name for our 84 slot walkway locker shown in this picture. A supplementary 55 slot Locker called 'Gemstone' is located near the retail outlets on the walkway. Customers choose their Locker during Amazon checkout, just as they would a home address.
Once the customer’s parcel is delivered to the selected Amazon Locker, they receive an e-mail notification with a unique pickup code and bar code. Customers enter their pickup code or scan the barcode using the barcode scanner to activate the pickup process and retrieve their package.
Customers have three business days to collect their package, after which time it is automatically returned for full a refund. Amazon deliver once a day, 6 days a week. The average pickup time is about 24 hours across their network, with most universities being considerably quicker. Amazon try to keep as many Locker slots free as possible, taking as much pressure as possible off our post room and Receptions, whilst giving much better customer service and increased time for customers to pick up their parcels.
What if our Locker is full?
Should both lockers be full, students and staff should get their package sent to their home addresses. If that is not practical the nearest alternative Locker location is ‘Gemini’, which is located at SPAR, 18-20 Queensway, London W2 3RY.