The Cancer Research Centre of Excellence (CRCE) is a strategic partnership between Imperial College London and the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), London, to drive forward advances in the detection, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Established in May 2016, CRCE harnesses the complementary expertise of both partner organisations bringing together critical mass and excellence from across all Imperial faculties with world-leading basic and translational scientists from ICR.
The CRCE vision is to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and populations through research. It will cement and expand inter-institutional collaborations by uniting diverse disciplines such as engineering, chemistry, computing and physics with cancer scientists, oncologists and surgeons.
The CRCE will:
- increase research capacity and capability in cancer and create a world-leading research centre;
- embrace multidisciplinary approaches to address key challenges in cancer research;
- ensure the rapid translation of its research through the Imperial College AHSC, Imperial College Health Partners, the Royal Marsden and its Cancer Vanguard.
The CRCE website is currently under development and further details about CRCE activities will be updated in due course.
Collaborative Pilot Projects call and Membership Expression of Interest
Collaborative Pilot Projects – call for proposals
The aim of this call for proposals is to build on the success of the CRCE Launch event in February 2017 and to catalyse collaborations between researchers at Imperial and ICR around areas of mutual interest in basic, translational and clinical cancer research.
Seed funding of up to £30k for pump-priming projects is available to support collaborative projects between ICR and Imperial researchers.
Closing date for applications: Noon on 31 March 2017
Further details on the call and the application proforma are available:
Membership expression of interest
To increase awareness of the potential expertise and resources available for cancer research across the partnership and to establish a conduit by which to inform researchers about opportunities, the CRCE Board wishes to collate information from researchers across the partnership who would like to get involved and benefit from the CRCE.
Researchers from across Imperial and ICR are therefore invited to submit the following Expression of Interest form, which will enable:
- the CRCE Board to create a mailing list in relation to future CRCE events and initiatives,
- development of a directory of CRCE expertise and resources
Download the CRCE Membership Expression of Interest.doc
CRCE Governance and partner links
Governance of the CRCE is the joint responsibility of Imperial and ICR.
The CRCE Board is responsible for overseeing the strategy, day-to-day operations and delivery of the CRCE Vision. Its membership comprises:
- Professor Paul Workman FRS (ICR; CRCE Director)
- Professor Bissan Al-Lazikani (ICR)
- Professor Raj Chopra (ICR)
- Professor Charles Coombes (Imperial; CRCE Head of Cancer Research at Imperial)
- Professor Ara Darzi FRS (Imperial)
- Professor Kevin Harrington (ICR)
- Professor Uwe Oelfke (ICR)
- Professor Gavin Screaton (Imperial)
- Dr Mengxing Tang (Imperial)
- Professor Ed Tate (Imperial)