Dr. Spyridon (Spyros) Vernardis
Office: ACEX Room 1M5, Chemical Engineering Dept., South Kensington Campus
Office Tel: +44 (0)20 75941225
Supervisors: Prof. Sakis Mantalaris
- Stem Cell Bioprocess Engineering
- Metabolomics analysis
|2014-Present||Research Fellow, BSEL, Chemical Engineering Dept, Imperial College|
|2010-2012||PhD, Informatics in Life Sciences – Bioinformatics, School of Medicine, University of Patras and Institute of Chemical Engineering Sciences (FORTH / ICE-HT)|
|2006-2008||MSc, Informatics in Life Sciences – Bioinformatics, School of Medicine, University of Patras|
|2001-2006||Biology, University of Patras|
Α. Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Vernardis SI, Goudar CT, Klapa MI (2013) Metabolic profiling reveals that time related physiological changes in mammalian cell perfusion cultures are bioreactor scale independent. Metabolic engineering 19C: 1-9.
- Grintzalis K, Vernardis SI, Klapa MI, Georgiou CD (2014) Role of oxidative stress in Sclerotial differentiation and aflatoxin B1 biosynthesis in Aspergillus flavus. Appl Environ Microbiol 80(18):5561-71.
- Vernardis SI, Wu P, Goudar CT, Klapa MI (in preparation) Metabolic physiology of mammalian perfusion cultures is affected by combinations of environmental perturbations.
- Vernardis SI, Chrysanthopoulos PK, Goudar CT, Klapa MI (2010) Vernardis SI, Goudar CT, Klapa MI Metabolic Profiling Is Sensitive to Cell Age-Dependent Changes in the Metabolic Physiology of Industrial Scale Perfusion Cell Cultures. 11th International Symposium on Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB 2010). Leuven (Belgium), July 5-7.
- Vernardis SI, Goudar CT, Klapa MI (2013) Vernardis SI, Goudar CT, Klapa MI The use of GC – MS metabolic profiling for the study of mammalian cell culture metabolic physiology under perturbed environmental conditions. 12th International Symposium on Computer Applications in Biotechnology (CAB 2013). Mumbai (India), December 16-18.
Dr. Iliana Fauzi (Lia)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgDr. Lia Fauzi.
Office: ACEX Room 1M4, Chemical Engineering Dept., South.
Kensington Campus Imperial College London SW7 2AZ.
Office Tel: +44 (0) 2075941224.
Supervisors: Prof. Athanasios Mantalaris & Dr. Nicki Panoskaltsis.
- Embryonic stem (ES) cells/ human ES cells (hESCs) & human induced pluripotent stem cells (hIPs).
- Cord Blood stem cells.
- Hematopoiesis, Erythropoiesis, Hemogenic-Endothelial cells differentiation.
- 3 dimensional (3D) culture system i.e. Hydrogel Encapsulation.
|2014||Post doctoral Research Associate, Chemical Engineering Department, Imperial College London, UK - Bio-artificial Lung project (endothelial cells formation)|
|2012-2013||Visiting Researcher (Post-doctoral Research Associate), Medicine and Chemical Engineering Department, Imperial College London, UK - Blood making project|
|2006-2011||PhD in Stem Cells Bioprocessing, Chemical Engineering Department, Imperial College London, UK - Red blood cells production|
|2005-2011||Tutor at Faculty of Science and Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malaysia|
|2005||Research Assistant at Reconstructive Science Unit, School of Medical and Health, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Malaysia|
|2002-2005||BSc (Hons) in Biological Sciences, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malaysia|
Embryonic stem cells (ESCs) differentiation towards hematopoietic and erythroid lineage i.e. Red blood cells (RBCs) using HepG2 conditoned medium, alginate hydrogel encapsulation and rotating wall vessels bioreactor
- Placzek MR, Chung IM, Macedo HM, Ismail S, Blanco TM, Lim M, Cha JM, Fauzi I, Kang Y, Yeo DCL, Ma CYJ, Polak JM, Mantalaris A. Stem Cell Bioprocessing: Fundamentals and Principles. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2009;6(32):209-32. http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/6/32/209.long
- Fauzi I, Panoskaltsis N, Mantalaris A. Enhanced hematopoietic differentiation towards erythrocytes from murine embryonic stem cells with HepG2-conditioned. Stem Cells Dev. http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/scd.2012.0030
- Fauzi I, Panoskaltsis N and Mantalaris A. Early Exposure of Murine Embryonic Stem Cells to Hematopoietic Cytokines Differentially Directs Definitive Erythropoiesis and Cardiomyogenesis in Alginate Hydrogel Three-Dimensional. Stem Cells Dev. 2014 Aug 5. [Epub ahead of print] http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/scd.2014.0105
- Song K, Mantalaris A, Fauzi I, Macedo HM, Panoskaltsis N. Ex vivo expansion of human cord blood (CD 34+) cells encapsulated in cytokine containing hydrogels and a rotating wall vessel bioreactor (Submitted for Experimental Hematology Journal).
- Cha JM*, Bariani C*, Chung IM, Ismail S, Fauzi I, Yeo DCL, Paopo I, Blanco TM, Rende M, Macedo HM, Tangviriyasirikul S, Mantalaris A. Bioprocessing applications to Embryonic Stem Cells: in vitro generation of bone, cartilage and heart cells (Submitted).
- Rende M, Fauzi I, Blanco TM, Da Costa Medeira JM, Mantalaris A, Panoskaltsis N. Physiologic erythropoiesis with enhanced globin switching and endogenous cytokine production in a long-term serum-free in vitro human bone marrow biomimicry (Manuscript in preparation for Blood Journal).
- Fauzi I, Panoskaltsis N and Mantalaris A. Direct cardiomyogenesis from murine embryonic stem cells exposed to HepG2 CM and hematopoietic factors (Manuscript in preparation for Stem Cells Journal).
- 54th Annual Scientific Meeting of American Society of Haematology (ASH), Atlanta, Georgia (December 8-11, 2012). Physiologic Erythropoiesis with Enhanced Globin Switching and Endogenous Cytokine Production in a Long-Term Serum-Free In Vitro Human Bone Marrow Biomimicry (Oral Presentation).
- 52nd Annual Scientific Meeting of American Society of Haematology (ASH), Orlando, Florida (December 4th -7th 2010). A Novel, Three Dimensional (3D) Culture System for the Efficient, Single-Step Erythropoietic Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells (mESCs) (Poster presentation).
- Stem Cells Networks lectures organised by Imperial College National Heart and Lung Institute (NHLI) (January 12th 2010).
- 38th Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Experimental Hematology (ISEH)-Society for Hematology and Stem cells, Athens, Greece (September 9th-12th, 2009). Single-step erythropoietic culture from mouse embryonic stem cells using hydrogels, HepG2-conditioned medium and a bioreactor (Poster presentation).
- UMT-MSD Postgraduate Seminar, Leeds, UK (May 12th-13th, 2009). Production of hematopoietic cells from mouse embryonic stem cells using HepG2-conditioned medium (Proceedings).
- Annual Conference and exposition of Tissue Engineering International and Regenerative Medicine Society (TERMIS), North America (NA), San Diego (December7th-10th, 2008). Production of hematopoietic cells from mouse embryonic stem cells using HepG2-conditioned medium (Poster presentation).
- 8th Symposium of Applied Biology, Putrajaya, Malaysia (June 22nd-23rd, 2005). Cytotoxic effect of Acanthamoeba lysates on T-Lymphoblastic leukemic cell line (CEM-SS) (Proceedings).
- 2005 - 2006 : Tutor and Demonstrator for Biological Organism (II), Cell and Tissue Culture, and Animal Anatomy and Physiology for one semester in Dept. of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malaysia.
- 2004: Lab Demonstrator - Cell and tissue Culture in Dept. of Biological Sciences, Facul ty of Science and Technology, Universit i Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malaysia.
- UK-ASEAN Knowledge Partnership Mobility Scheme (2012-2013).
- Richard Thomas Leukaemia Fund (2009-2013).
- Graduate Studies Abroad Program by Malaysian Academic Training Scheme, Scholarship awarded for PhD students from Ministry of Education Malaysia (2006-2010).
- Scholarship awarded for Excellent Bachelor Degree students Scheme from Public Service Department of Malaysia (2002-2005).
- Scholarship awarded for Excellent Matriculation College students from Public Service Department of Malaysia (2001-2002).
International Membership in Societies:
- Member of American Society of Hematology (ASH)
- Member of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Society (TERMIS)
- Member of International Society of Experimental Hematology (ISEH)
- Member of UK/Eire Malaysian Postgraduate Association -MPA
- Member of Malaysian Postgraduates Council-London – MPGC
- Member of Imperial College Alumni- Chemical Engineering PhD