- Upcoming: ACCA Workshop at the International Centre for Mathematical Sciences (ICMS) in Edinburgh, between May 8-12, 2017. This event is organized by Prof. Peter Clarkson (University of Kent), Prof. Darren Crowdy (Imperial College London), Prof. Thanasis Fokas (University of Cambridge), Prof. Robb McDonald (University College London) and Prof. Beatrice Pelloni (Heriot-Watt University). More details about this event can be found here.
- Professor Yuri Antipov will give a seminar at Imperial College London, on 16th of November at 2 pm, in room 747 in the Huxley Building. The seminar is entitled: Riemann-Hilbert problem, Riemann Surfaces and autimorphic functions in supercavitating flow.
- Professor Darren Crowdy will deliver an invited Colloquium lecture at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver on November 28th 2016. The lecture is entitled: The "Hole Story" of a forgotten function, and how to use it. More details here.
- Science Without Borders sandwich studentship: the ACCA group is delighted to welcome Tiago Anselmo da Silva, a PhD student from UFPE Recife, who will visit the group between Oct 2016 - Sep 2017 funded by the "Science Without Borders" programme (a "sandwich studentship").
- Professor Darren Crowdy will deliver an invited lecture at the "Holomorphic Day" event in Copenhagen, Denmark, on November 18, 2016. More details to follow here.
- The “Red Lotus Project” Workshop: an interdisciplinary meeting on heat transfer effects in superhydrophobic surface theory and related areas in Chicheley, UK, between November 1-2, 2016. This event is organized by Prof. Darren Crowdy (Imperial College London, UK), Prof. Marc Hodes (Tufts University, USA) and Prof. Demetrios Papageorgiou (Imperial College London, UK). More details about this event can be found here.
- Seminar: Dr Rhodri Nelson delivered a seminar at the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, on October 21, 2016. More details can be found here.
- Dr Rhodri Nelson delivered a seminar "Potential problems in multiply-connected domains" at Univesity College London (UCL), on October 18, 2016. Abstract can be found here.
- Dr Everett Kropf delivered a guest lecture "The Potential Toolkit, an Applied Example" at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas, USA. Abstract can be found here.
- Workshop on micro-organisms in Stokes flows at Okayama University, Japan: Professor Darren Crowdy and Sam Brzezicki delivered invited talks in the workshop which takes place on Wednesday August 31, 2016. The workshop is organized by Dr. Kiori Obuse (Okayama University, JP). More details about this event can be found here.
- ACCA Seminar: Tomoki Uda (Kyoto University) delivered a seminar “Numerical Computation for Vortex Patch Equilibria with New Shape Derivative Formula”, on Tuesday July 12, 2016, 3-4pm, Room 747.
- Professor Darren Crowdy delivered two invited lectures as part of the LMS-sponsored Wales Mathematics Colloquium 2016 in Gregynog, Wales on May 23-25 2016.
- Dr Peter Buchak Seminar at Tufts University: ACCA-group alumnus Dr. Peter Buchak delivered a seminar "Optical fibres with elliptical channels" at the Mech. Eng. Dept at Tufts University, MA, USA on April 14 2016. Details here.
- BAMC 2016: Vikas Krishnamurthy and Elena Luca delivered talks in the British Applied Mathematics Colloquium in April 2016 in Oxford, UK.
- "Schottky-Klein prime function Day" at the International Institute of Physics workshop "Physics and Mathematics of Complex Interfaces: growing interfaces, nonlinear dynamics, integrability". Profs. Darren Crowdy and Giovani Vasconcelos led a discussion day on uses of the Schottky-Klein prime function in mathematical physics on April 6th at the IIP, Natal, Brazil.
- Professor Darren Crowdy delivered a Colloquium in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Melbourne, Australia, on March 22nd. The title of his talk is "The geometry of Fourier transforms, and how to use it". More details can be found here.
- Visiting Scholars: Prof. Ruben Rosales (MIT) during May-June 2016 and Prof. Bruno Carneiro da Cunha (UFPE, Brazil) during
- Fluid Dynamics Seminar: "Slippage at microstructured surfaces", Dr. Clarissa Schönecker (Max Planck Institute), Friday February 26th, 2016, 4pm-5pm, Room 139, Huxley Building, Imperial College. More details can be found here.
- Special AMMP Colloquium: "Asymptotics beyond all orders: the devil's invention?", Prof. S. J. Chapman (Oxford University), Thursday February 25th, 2016, 4pm-5pm, Room 340, Huxley Building, Imperial College. More details can be found here.
- February 2016: 4th ACCA Student Chapter Meeting, Wednesday February 17th, 2016. Details (including the schedule) can be found here. Closing Seminar by Prof. Mark Blyth from University of East Anglia: "Application of complex variable methods to some nonlinear wave problems"
- January 2016: The Second International ACCA-JP/UK Workshop took place at Kyoto University between January 18-19, 2016. More details about this event (including the programme) can be found here.
- January-February 2016: ACCA-UK members Prof. Darren Crowdy, Dr. Everett Kropf, Sam Brzezicki, Jordan Hauge and Vikas Krishnamurthy visited Kyoto University during January-February 2016. Their visit was funded by the Japan Science and Technology agency (JST) Math CREST project and Kyoto University Top Global Program. Photo album from their visit can be found here.
First International Research Meeting ACCA-BR
APS-DFD Meeting 2015
Prof. Darren Crowdy, Sam Brzezicki, Vikas Krishnamurthy and Elena Luca will participate at the 68th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics to be held in Boston between November 22-24, 2015.
Boeing Distinguished Colloquium
Prof. Darren Crowdy will deliver a Boeing Distinguished Colloquium at the University of Washington, Seattle, on November 19th. The title of his talk is: "The “Hole Story”: how to solve problems in multiply connected domains".
ACCA Student Chapter Meeting
Wednesday November 11th, 2-5pm. More details can be found here.
Special Lectures and Colloquium:
Prof. Darren Crowdy will deliver a series of Special lectures on "MOFs, microfluidics and micro-organisms": a crash course in complex variable techniques for Stokes flow modelling at the Kyoto University between October 13-23, 2015. During his visit at the Kyoto University, Prof. Crowdy will also deliver a Colloquium on "The “Hole Story”: how to solve problems in multiply connected domains".
The ACCA-UK and ACCA-JP networks are organizing two minisymposia at the International Conference for Industrial and Applied Mathematics in Beijing, China in August 2015. Contacts are Beatrice Pelloni and Takashi Sakajo.
ACCA-UK member Dr. Peter Buchak has won the Gold Award in the final of the SET for Britain 2015. Link here.
ACCA-UK member Dr. Peter Buchak has reached the final of the SET for Britain 2015 event to be held in Westminster on March 9th 2015. He will present a poster on his modelling work (w/ D. Crowdy, Y. Stokes, H. Ebendorff-Heidepriem) on MOF fabrication. Congratulations to Peter, and good luck!
Lecture Course at International Centre for Mechanical Sciences:
Darren Crowdy will give an invited lecture course at the upcoming programme "Interaction of Microscopic Structures and Organisms with Fluid Flows", Udine, Italy, May 25-29 2015: www.cism.it/Programme2015 or click for the flyer.
Workshop on "Computational complex analysis for free surface flows":
To be held at UCL, April 2015. Details can be found here.
The ACCA-UK network will also be organizing some special sessions at the BAMC/BMC 2015 in Cambridge at the end of March (please contact D. Crowdy if you are interested in participating).
First International ACCA-UK/JP Workshop, March 12-13 2015.
New opportunities for graduate students and post-docs:
In Dec 2014 Professor Darren Crowdy was awarded a "Special Visiting Researcher" Fellowship from the Science Without Borders scheme which aims to nurture academic ties between researchers in the UK and Brazil. This fellowship comes with funding opportunities for both post-doctoral researchers and graduate students. If you are interested in this, check out this link for more information (or contact Darren Crowdy for more information).
First Early Career South East Mathematical Physics Seminar:
Vikas Krishnamurthy will deliver a talk (on compressible vortices) as part of the "First Early Career South East Mathematical Physics Seminar" at the University of Kent.
To ACCA group member Dr. Christopher Green who has recently been awarded a prestigious Lindemann Trust Fellowship (only 3 are awarded each year). Chris will be taking up position in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at UC San Diego, USA, from June 2014.
Chris Green, Vikas Krishnamurthy and Elena Luca will all deliver talks at this year's BAMC.