Purchase hardware from a departmental or research budget
The Imperial College London Hewlett Packard contract (HP) is open to all College purchasers via iProcurement.
- The contract offers exceptional value on a wide range of commercial strength systems.
- We can provide advice and assistance on selecting the correct specification for your requirements.
- You can track your order online.
This section is about HP desktops and laptops. Find out about purchasing:
Choosing the right system
The HP Direct contract covers:
- Desktop PCs
- Notebook (or Laptop) PCs.
For servers we recommend discussing your requirements with the Data Centre.
These personal computers are available in 3 case sizes:
- Small Form Factor (SFF)
- Tower (TWR)
- Ultra-Slim Desk Top (USDT).
Typically case size is not an indication of power or capability, simply possible expandability. These desktop systems are versatile and very expandable. They will cater for most needs and offer the best power for price on the market.
They only support "single slot" motherboards (systems with multiple processor slots are classed as workstations) however you can now have up to 4 processor "cores" in a single slot, delivering a lot of power.
The current HP EliteDesk series can be built to order with a range of processors, memory configurations and other components as required. They are built to last and are easily supported within the College. The College has over 10,000 of these systems in service and, presently, we find them to be capable of five years in service with few problems.
A 64 bit operating system required on any system with 4GB RAM or more to address the full amount of memory. A 32 bit OS will only address 3.5GB RAM no matter how much is installed.
Workstations are high performance systems designed for dedicated processor-intensive operation. They will develop significantly more power than a desktop when optioned above a certain level, but they cost significantly more.
Workstations typically offer two processor slots and can address up to 36 cores. They will be equipped with Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron processors, and will use ECC RAM (error correcting). Higher spec systems will offer 15,000 rpm SAS disks, as well as SSD drives, with RAID if required. They will come with vendor certifications to run certain applications to the exact manufacturer specifications and can address as much as 256GB of RAM.
The HP contract offers a wide range of laptops to choose from. There are several criteria to consider when deciding to purchase a laptop, such as:
- Screen size
- Battery life
- Weight (for portability)
- Fit for purpose
- Warranty services
- Configurable options.
Purchasing of non-College recommended machines is typically discouraged as these can be difficult to configure correctly to work on the College network and use College supported software. The IT Faculty Support teams may also charge for supporting and maintaining non College recommended machines.
How do I estimate prices and generate a quote?
Where possible, please use iProcurement as the primary source of information regarding current pricing and configuration. If you cannot access iProcurement, you can generate an online quote via the HP purchasing (College username and password required).
If the quote is for a non-catalogue item or configuration, contact the ICT Shop for assistance in placing the order.
For additional assistance contact the ICT Shop regarding:
- Product enquiries
- Off-catalogue items
- Assistance with matching accessories to main items.
HP standard recommended models for College purchasing
- Current model is EliteDesk 800 G1.
- Configurable with an Intel i7 processor. The i7 series processors support on-board graphics so there is no requirement to specify external graphics for i7 systems.
- Most popular and versatile case size is the SFF. Best for general purpose applications.
- If intend to expand the machine through add-in 3rd party cards or extra disks, may want the larger Convertible Mini Tower (CMT).
- SFF has a second disk bay if required, can take a mix of PCI-E and PCI cards but these must be half height.
- The CMT offers a more powerful power supply for power hungry add-in cards or additional hard disks. Also allows cards of full height / full length to be fitted.
- For more than 2 extra cards a PCI extender may be required.
Insurance or an Accidental Damage (ADP) Carepack uplift highly recommended as laptops are more prone to physical breakage which is not usually covered by warranty.
- Top end of the business notebooks.
- Tested to military standards for durability.
- Provide a wide range of configurable options to suit specific requirements.
- Standard 3 year warranty.
- Excellent mid-range laptop.
- Built to a high standard.
- High quality finish.
- Can be configured to meet basic requirements, although the options available are limited in choice.
Z series workstations
- Designed for higher performance applications.
- Require in excess of 16GB RAM typically.
- With a maximum of 256GB RAM depending on model.
Typically for higher end desktop specifications, a low end workstation such as the z420 or z620 may work out a more economic choice.
For further queries like those listed below, contact the ICT Shop.
- How to place an order from HP Direct.
- Current supply constraints.
- How to order from ICT Buffer Stock.
We hold small stocks of the current College recommended desktops and monitors for resale to departments and researchers where there is an urgent requirement. All stock is VAT payable. Stock purchase requests for standard desktops and monitors need to be logged via the ICT Service Desk, or you can contact the ICT Shop. For all non-standard items, you will need to place your order with HP via iProcurement.
If you are entitled to any form of VAT exemption you must use iProcurement to place your order as we cannot hold VAT exempt buffer stock.
Below are some examples of our stock items:
EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF desktop PC - price available on request
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit OS
- 8GB DDR3-1600 DIMM (2x4GB) RAM
- 3/3/3 (material/labour/onsite Warranty)
- HP USB Mouse
- Intel Core i7-4770 3.4G 8M HD 4600 CPU
- Slim SuperMulti Optical Disc Drive
- HP USB Keyboard
- 256GB SATA 2.5 Opal2 SED SSD
HP Elite Display E231 23-inch Monitor - price available on request
We may, occasionally, hold some laptops in stock. Contact the ICT Store to enquire about availability.