Create webcasts, podcasts and RSS feeds
Panopto makes MP3 and MP4 versions of every recording available through podcast and webcast RSS feeds. By subscribing to the feed, the podcast or webcast from each new recording can be easily downloaded by your viewers when it is ready. The downloaded content can then be listened to or viewed using any device capable of playing back MP3/MP4 files.
Most browsers will not progressively download the recordings from RSS feeds, meaning that when a viewer clicks on an MP4 or MP3 the browser will wait until the entire recording downloads before a viewer can play the recording. A three hour recording could take 10 minutes to download or possibly longer due to the size of the file. If you wish to provide a progressive download, we advise you to use the direct link to the recording.
Enabling webcasts, podcasts and RSS feeds
To enable vodcasts, podcasts and RSS feeds, follow these steps:
- Select your folder and click on the Settings cog wheel in the top right corner of the page.
- Tick Enable podcast feed and Enable authenticated users to download podcasts.
- Users can only download podcasts and webcasts. They will not be able to download the full recording link.
- If you did not have these options ticked when the recording was first processed, you will not have a podcast or webcast. To create them, tick these options and reprocess each one individually.
Accessing webcasts, podcasts and RSS feeds
To access a podcast/webcast feed for viewers, follow these steps:
- Go to imperial.cloud.panopto.eu
- Select ic.ac.uk from the Sign in using drop down menu and enter your College username and password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click on View Sessions to enter the server.
- Click on the folder from which you would like to access the the podcasts and vodcasts.
- Click the Subscribe icon in the upper right hand corner. These links allow you to access the folder feed in different ways.
- Choose one of the recommended options for accessing the folder feed below.
Two recommended options for accessing the folder feed
- Choose Subscribe to RSS. This allows you to subscribe to the RSS feed or download the video podcasts directly. If you want to make this RSS available to viewers, you can add the URL link directly into a Blackboard course.
- Choose Subscribe to RSS (audio only). This allows you to subscribe to the RSS feed or download the audio podcasts directly. If you want to make this RSS available to students, add the URL link directly into a Blackboard course.
To add links directly to Blackboard courses, read Add rich media links to Blackboard