These instructions require you to have the NetworkManager-pptp package (network-manager-pptp and network-manager-pptp-gnome on Ubuntu/Debian) on your machine.
Follow these instructions to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection on your Linux machine:
- Click on the Network Manager icon.
- Select VPN Connections and then Configure VPN.
- Choose Add from the Network Connections dialog box.
- Choose Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) option from the Choose a VPN Connection Type dialog box and click Create...
- Type Imperial College VPN in the Connection name field.
- Enter vpn.ic.ac.uk in the Gateway field of the VPN tab.
- Enter your Imperial username and password in the User name and Password fields.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Tick MSCHAPv2 under Allow the following authentication methods.
- Tick Use Point to Point encryption (MPPE) under Security and Compression.
- Click OK to return to the previous dialog box.
- Click Apply to save your settings.
The Network Connections dialog box should now show your new VPN connection. To connect in future, click on the Network Manager icon again, select VPN Connections and choose Imperial College VPN.