Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee
Terms of reference
- To develop and advise the Senate on the implementation of College policies and procedures relating to quality assurance, enhancement and internal audit of quality.
- To develop and advise the Senate on the implementation of arrangements as may be necessary to ensure compliance with national and international frameworks and codes of practice relating to academic standards, quality assurance and enhancement.
- To advise the Senate on the requirements and procedures of the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
- To advise Departments and Faculties on matters relating to quality of provision, including academic standards, preparation for assessment of quality, programme review and enhancement.
- To undertake periodic reviews of undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision in Departments.
- To consider proposed changes to the academic and examination regulations and make recommendations to Senate.
- To review the results of College wide student surveys (via sub-committees when appropriate) and make recommendations for action where necessary.
- To oversee the processes of quality assurance and enhancement for the undergraduate Imperial Horizons and Humanities programmes.
- On the advice of the Programmes Committee make recommendations to Senate on the approval of new programmes and short courses.
- On the advice of the Programmes Committee make recommendations to Senate on the major modifications to existing programmes and short courses (including suspension and withdrawal).
- To maintain an overview of education initiatives.
- To oversee the activities and receive the minutes of the Programmes Committee, Faculty Education Committees, Postgraduate Research Quality Committee, Admissions Networks and working groups as appropriate.
Constitution and membership
- Vice-Provost (Education) as Chair;
- the Director and Deputy Director of the Graduate School
- the Senior College Consul;
- a senior representative with a responsibility for educational leadership from each faculty nominated by the Dean;
- a senior representative from the School of Professional Development;
- Chair of the Programmes Committee;
- two Student Representatives nominated by Imperial College Union,
- the Director of Student Support;
- the Academic Registrar (or nominee);
- the Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement)
|Professor Simone Buitendijk||Vice Provost (Education) (Chair)|
|Professor Sue Gibson||Director of the Graduate School|
|Professor Anthony Magee||Deputy Director of the Graduate School|
|Professor Myra McClure||Senior College Consul|
|Professor Peter Cheung||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Engineering|
|Professor Alan Spivey||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Natural Sciences|
|Professor Emma McCoy||Chair of the Programmes Committee|
|Professor Desmond Johnston||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Medicine|
|Dr Edgar Meyer||Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programmes for Imperial College Business School|
|Dr Martyn Kingsbury||Director of Educational Development as the School of Professional Development Representative|
|Mr Luke McCrone||Deputy President (Education) for Imperial College Union|
|TBC||President (Graduate Students' Union)|
|Professor Denis Wright||Director of Student Support|
|Ms Judith Webster||Head of Academic Services|
|Ms Sophie White||Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance & Enhancement) as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2016/17)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2016/17)|
|20 September 2016||06 September 2016|
|08 November 2016||19 October 2016|
|10 January 2017||19 December 2016|
|04 April 2017||20 March 2017|
|23 May 2017||05 May 2017|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting. Items to be recommended to Senate cannot be considered at the final meeting of the academic year.
Academic year 2016/17
Academic year 2015/16
- 10 November 2015 [pdf]
- 19 January 2016 [pdf]
- 15 March 2016 [pdf]
- 17 May 2016 [pdf]
- 19 July 2016 [pdf]
Academic year 2014/15
- 07 October 2014 [pdf]
- 11 November 2014 [pdf]
- 22 January 2015 [pdf]
- 03 March 2015 [pdf]
- 28 April 2015 [pdf]
- 02 June 2015[pdf]
- 14 July 2015 [pdf]
Academic year 2013/14
Academic year 2012/13
For committee minutes prior to 2012/13, please contact the committee secretary.