School of Professional Development
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education* across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
* Includes undergraduate and Master’s level programmes of study and short course provision.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example via student survey results and staff-student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To provide oversight and scrutiny of the processes of quality assurance for the Faculty’s academic provision in accordance with the College’s Academic Standards Framework.
- To oversee the implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision.
- To approve minor changes to existing programme curricula (including for existing collaborative provision) and short course provision in accordance with the College Academic Standards Framework and report these to the Programmes Committee.
- To approve changes to entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To approve and keep under review programme specifications for taught degree programmes and approve and keep under review course specifications for short course provision and inform QAEC.
- To approve and keep under review marking schemes and schemes for award of honours and inform QAEC.
- To appoint panels to consider special cases for admission and other circumstances.
- To oversee all special cases.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve, in collaboration with the Registry and International Office when appropriate, new exchange arrangements and the renewal of existing exchange agreements and report these to QAEC.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- A student representative;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Head of Academic Services;
- A representative from the Education Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President
|Dr Martyn Kingsbury||Director of Educational Development as Co-Chair|
|Dr Roberto Trotta||Director of Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication as Co-Chair|
|Mr Ahmed Shamso||GSU President|
|Mr Nicolas Cinosi||Student Representative|
|Ms Abigail Sawyer||Student Representative|
|Professor John Seddon||College Consul|
|Ms Aoife McCarthy||Manager, Educational Development Unit as Secretary|
|Dr Felicity Mellor||Director of Postgraduate Studies|
|Ms Boglarka Nagy||Student Representative|
|Dr Anna Nyburg||Evening Classes Coordinator|
|Mr Luke McCrone||ICU Deputy President (Education)|
|Dr Felicitas Starr-Egger||Director of Languages|
|Dr Robert Sternberg*||Lecturer, Science Communication Unit|
|Dr Stephen Webster||Head, Science Communication Unit|
|Ms Sophie White||Registry Representative|
|* These members will attend as alternates of the Science Communication Unit if the Head of the Science Communication Unit is unable to attend.|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2016/17)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2016/17)|
|26 September 2016||12 September 2016|
|21 November 2016||07 November 2016|
|01 March 2017||15 February 2017|
|24 April 2017||10 April 2017|
|Committee dates (Academic year 2015/16)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2015/16)|
|01 March 2016||16 February 2016|
|26 May 2016||12 May 2016|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.